Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bookish Thoughts: Annotation and Audiobooks

I am venturing into unknown territory!  Two if you can believe it!
I don't annotate.  I don't listen to audiobooks.
This is all about to change.


I was thinking the other day...as I was driving to work (and my commute is an hour each way, 5 days a week) that I wished I had more hours in the day to devote to different things - theater, makeup research/outside work, reading...and then it hits me like a ton of bricks -- I do enjoy music in the car, but what about just tuning into a good book?

So I ventured off to my library (which I admit I haven't been to in eons!) and checked out three audiobooks.  I realize three is a lot when I've never actually listened to them -- ok wait -- that's a fallacy.  When I lived in Florida, I'm pretty sure I checked out the audiobook of Stephen Colbert's I Am America, And So Can You...but I'm also pretty sure I used to listen to it next to the pool and fall asleep...

Anyways, I checked out the following:

  • Drama: An Actor's Education (John Lithgow)
  • One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Keasy)
  • On The Road (Jack Kerouac)
My thoughts being they're all fairly different, and all things that interest me!  I've also already read Cuckoo's Nest, so it's going to be fun to revisit the story!  I also have the original scroll book version of On The Road which I haven't read yet...so again, interesting to hear it before I read it.  And then Lithgow's book just caught my interest as I am an actress!




My second thought for the day was that I wanted to explore annotating.  Not in every book I own, but in books that actually have something to say.  Maybe it's because I just started reading this:


So I am going to be researching and trying out different ways of annotating my books -- one size doesn't fit all and I surely feel AWFUL writing in books (you're taught that from a VERY early age here in America...especially once you get into school...basically up until college when the books are yours to write in because you paid a small mortgage for them haha!)

If you have any tips or ideas, let me know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment